For Children and Parents:
- Parents - take a walk through your neighbourhood; discover the Block Parent homes - know what the sign looks like and point it out to your children.
- Always take the same route to and from school - no shortcuts. Always walk with a friend.
- When going to school, go directly there and do not stop on the way.
- Never hitchhike.
- Confirm a password or secret code with your children and teach them to never go with anyone unless they can give you that secret code or password.
- Never ride home with anyone unless you have your parent's permission first.
- Always ask for your parent's permission before going to a friend's home after school.
- Never let anyone into your house if you are home alone.
- Never say you are home alone when talking on the telephone.
- Always be sure your parent(s) know where you are.
- Be careful if a grown up asks for directions. Keep a safe distance away.
- Say no if a friend or grown up ask you to do something you don't think is right.
Tips for Parents:
- Never put your child's name on the outside of their coat, hat or backpack - it makes it easy for someone to gain their trust by calling them by name.
- Make sure your child knows their name, address and telephone number including the area code.
- Make sure your child knows how to use a pay phone in an emergency.
- Always keep an updated list of names, address and phone numbers of your child's friends.
- Know where your child is at all times.
- Be familiar with your child's friends and daily activities.
- Reinforce with your child that strangers can drive any type of vehicle, can be male or female, young or old, short or tall, look shabby or well-dressed.
- Consider using a secret code or password should someone other than you pick up your child.
- Let you children know they can call 911 or 0 for an operator and they do not need money for this.