If you have a Police related question our Community Service Officers will be glad to help. Your questions may be posted on our web page along with the answer for others to view.

Q: Does my child require a car seat / restraint, and what kind?


Infants less than 20lbs require a 5 point restraint system and are to be rear facing. Toddlers 20lbs to 40lbs can be forward facing with seat tether tight and a 5 point restraint system (best if child is at least 1 year old). Children less than 8 years old, between 40lbs and 80lbs and less than 4’9” can use either a no back booster or one with a back, which ever makes the belt fit properly.

All children less than 12 years old should be buckled in the rear seat away from any airbags.

Q: Can I report a collision over the phone?


Only if it is a hit and run and the damage is less than $1000.00 and there is no suspect. All other reports must be done in person. It is better to allow an Officer to view the reported damage and make notes.

Q: How do I know if my Child has the right bike helmet?


Follow the “2 V 1” rule and you will be able to determine if it is fitting properly. There should only be 2 fingers above your eyebrows, forms a V under your ears, and one finger between the strap and your chin.

For further information you can contact the Elgin St. Thomas Health Unit at injuryprevention@elginhealth.on.ca

Q: Where do I stop when I see or hear an emergency vehicle coming?


You should always pull to the right and stop. It’s the law. When your are faced with a situation and are unable to pull to the right, come to a complete stop and wait for all emergency vehicles to go by, where there’s one there are two.

Q: What is the Cadet program about?


The cadet program serves as an entry-level position for Police Constable with our Police Service. The position is designed to develop these civilian members for future positions as sworn police officers. The job description includes the following duties but is not limited to summons and subpoena service, fingerprinting, relief dispatch and communication duties, witnessing statements for criminal investigations and contacting victims of crime for follow up information. For more information about his position or any other position within the Police Service, visit the Careers section of our website.

Q: I see many people driving with their pets, mostly dogs, sitting on their laps. Could they be charged with distracted driving? Also my big beef is when people have yard sales and leave the signs posted on poles and street signs. Why cant they be charged with littering? Their address is right on the sign and many times, the sale was weeks to months ago.


 It is not distracted driving, but could be a charge of Crowding a driver under section 162 of the Highway Traffic Act (if it interferes with the proper management or control of the vehicle). As for yard sale signs on poles, this does not meet the definition of littering, however, there may be a City by-law that prohibits the placement of signs and use of utility poles in the city. You can look up the City’s by laws on the City of St. Thomas web site and if there is such a by-law, the City’s by-law enforcement officers could be contacted.

Q: Who has the right of way at a round-about such as the one at Penhale ave and Southgate? I have had a few near misses there.


 When approaching a modern roundabout, you need to know where you’re going Just as you would when approaching a traditional intersection. You need to use turn signals to let the other drivers know your intentions.
To drive a modern roundabout, you need to remember the following guidelines:

Slow down – when entering a roundabout, speeds must drop to 15-25mph.
Let vehicles already circulating go ahead (yield). You never merge. All motorists approaching a roundabout must yield.
Obey all the signs.
Watch for pedestrians, bicyclists, large trucks and emergency vehicles.

Q: I recently purchased a new bicycle. Do I or can I register the serial number with the Police Department in case it is stolen/wanders away by itself for a possible recovery?


 The advice we give to everyone is to record your serial number (along with the make, model and colour) of your new bicycle and keep it in a safe place in case someone decides to take it. A good idea is to take a picture of the bike and keep it, along with other information (serial #), in a file on your computer. This way, if it is stolen, all of the information can be passed on to an officer for a report. Also, if you keep serial # and report it to us, we will be able to return it to you once we recover it. If we don’t have the serial #, we can’t return it (the owner would have to attend the station periodically, check for their bike, and claim it after it has been reported stolen to us) and it may end up in auction.

Beard Approved LogoThis website has been Beard Approved by Redding Designs